Satan comes to steal, kill, and destroy. His goal is to keep me from writing. If he can just get me to put my pen down, or stop the flow of words, or silence my story with shame…
In some ways lately, he has succeeded.
He has a way of telling you that you have no purpose, that no one is even reading what you’re writing. I mean, “You started this blog five years ago and your last post had twelve views.”
Today, during my virtual writing conference with Ann Voskamp, I learned a few things about myself and my writing.
1. Jesus only had twelve followers.
2. This blog is not viral. What a better time to realize that viral is sickness.
3. Jesus came and told stories- my story matters. I have a story to tell that is encompassed in the love, grace, and mercy of Jesus Christ.
4. There are a lot of writers. Christians are in a place of abundance in Christ. The thought that the pie is only so big and there are only so many pieces is a lie from the enemy.
5. I do not need a gate keeper to tell God’s story.
6. It is not about marketing and publishing, it is about the posture of my heart. And friends, all I want is for people to feel the love of Jesus that I do and to know that there is a life of grace, abundant grace, that is only fulfilled in Jesus.
7. Numbers are dangerous and bad for the soul. I am not writing for numbers but for the creator that is endless.
8. Writers are waiters who serve their readers.
9. I AM a writer.
10. I have stories to share and words in my heart that need to reach paper.
It is simple in this life to lose your focus and to allow the voice of the enemy to be louder than the still small voice in your heart. I encourage you to refocus, realign, remember your purpose, your why, your reason, and your passions.
I AM a writer, a waiter, and I will continue to tell my stories, just as my father did. It is in these moments, when I am writing, that I feel closest to my Father. I choose to serve you, whomever you are, that chose to read this. I will continue to serve you, the twelve.